Taxpayers who have an issue with the Tennessee State legislature cannot now carry signs into the chamber when they protest issues, such as immigration, schools, etc. The legislators said the signs “represent a serious safety hazard” and have nothing to do with curbing free speech. But get this: those protesters can now bring guns into the chamber!
THAT’S A FOUL BALL!
A man who suffered an eye injury after being hit by a foul ball last summer has lost his lawsuit against the Chicago Cubs because of what’s known as the “Baseball Rule”, which basically absolves a team of liability unless “willful and wanton” conduct is shown. The man claimed that the injury could have been avoided if the Cubs had more netting down the baselines (as appears the team has added this off-season), yet the Cubs argued that the fan chose to sit where there was no netting. As the Judge (tongue in cheek??) explained: “The Baseball Act casts a pretty wide net.”
Some criminal courts strap a “stunt belt” around defendants who are believed to be dangerous in order to shock them if the person becomes violent or tries to escape. However, a Texas judge, not receiving the answers he wanted to his questions, had this colloquy with a Mr. Morris:
-Morris:”Sir, I’ve asked you to recuse yourself.”
-Judge: “Are you going to follow the rules?”
-Morris: “I have a lawsuit pending against you.”
-Judge: “Hit him!”–sending thousands of volts into Morris.
-Morris: “I have a history of mental illness.”
Judge: “Hit him again!”
After saying that he was being tortured for asking for a recusal, the Judge told the bailiff to “hit him again.” A shocked (no kidding!) Court of Appeals dismissed the conviction, saying : “This Court cannot sit idly by and say nothing when a judge turns a court of law into a Skinner Box, electrocuting a defendant until he provides the judge with behavior he likes.”
TELL IT LIKE IT IS.
“I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy the rest of your life.” Rita Rudner, comedian
“Don’t tell your problems to people. 80 % don’t care, and the other 20% are glad you have them.” Lou Holtz, Football legend
“It ain’t what they call you; it’s what you answer to” W.C. Fields
TAX CHANGES IN DIVORCE.
Part of the new tax law concerns the deductibility of maintenance (also known as alimony.) Under the new law, alimony will no longer be deductible by the ex-spouse paying or includible in the income of the recipient spouse.
These changes take effect on December 31, 2018, so there will probably be a rush to the courthouse to get divorced by then.The payment of maintenance was often used as a negotiating tool in divorce. Now different factors will have to be used to hopefully come to an equitable settlement for both sources.
If the parties were divorced before the new law takes effect, their agreement as to maintenance will remain the same unless specifically modified.